Sunday, May 13, 2018

Finding Early Learning Media You and Your Child Enjoy

Thanks everyone who's stuck with me for my second article! As promised the topic of today's article is the palatability of children's media- that includes music, visual media, etc. And by palatability I mean is it something we find to our taste or not. Sometimes adults are surprised when they enjoy something that is meant for children. Some perhaps cringe at media meant for children that they do not enjoy. Some adults love to embrace their inner child. Most adults have at least a bit of nostalgia from time to time about the media they loved when they were children.

Wherever you are on this spectrum of palatability, spending time enjoying media with your preschooler is a valuable way to bond, and a great way to introduce them to the arts! Finding something that everyone can enjoy can be difficult- but certainly not impossible! There are so many options nowadays! What I will present are just a handful, and from my own experience, but chances are something similar to what I suggest is available near you (if it's a place or a live event) or just a google away (if it's digital media).

Visual Art- MOCHA- in Oakland, CA- The Museum of Children's Art, (MOCHA), was a place I often took my preschooler. The open art sessions included a playdough table, painting station, a cut and paste table, a sticker table, a block building station- complete with examples and helpers available. Moms chatted, or helped, or made their own art, while children enjoyed hands on art activities. This was a very mellow place perfect for a low key playdate, and often included interesting art exhibits to peruse. It was a perfect introduction to a stroller trip to any art museum. Mocha.org

Books- Google your child's name- My friend gave me several children's books with my child's name in it as a shower gift, and I highly recommend trying that to see what you find. You might be surprised! Hearing their own name in the book increases engagement, and you can be proud that you chose such a clever name for them in the first place. Plus you get a random array of illustration styles to ponder.

Live Music- Your local library or preschool music class- This subject is dear to me because I now have two children's albums of my own, but when my son was a preschooler, I was finding live music opportunities for him without any children's music industry knowledge at all. I started by attending storytimes- and I will give a shout out to the lovely librarians at the Piedmont library in Oakland, CA! Sometimes libraries also invite musicians to perform- something that will be happening a bunch this summer because of the "Libraries Rock" summer reading theme. When my son was 4, we got to see Charlie Hope at the library. This was so awesome because I discovered her music on YouTube when I google searched for a children's song about trains. My son loved trains, and to be honest, I was looking for an alternative to Thomas. Preschool music classes are available at other places besides libraries- there are chains like Gymboree (I tried this)- but I would highly recommend an independent teacher- google who is in your area!

TV Shows- YouTube, and PBS.org- Yes I am skirting recommending any one TV show and recommending YouTube, and the PBS website instead. Why? Because--- wait for it--- you can find something for "You." --- I would suggest starting by googling what you remember enjoying when you were young. Watching a classic Sesame Street or Mr. Roger's clip on YouTube can be a short diversion, and something enjoyed by both of you. Gems from our childhood such as Free to Be You and Me and Schoolhouse Rock can also be found on YouTube. You can also google what your preschooler is interested in and find shows to interest them. For example, dinosaurs+ trains= "Dinosaur Train." You can also find children's performers on YouTube- Miss Nina has a popular show, and, as I mentioned before, lots of children's music is on YouTube. Childrenmusic.org and SongforTeaching.com feature recent YouTubes from artists. PBS also has great educational shows, and while some character and muppet singing voices might not appeal to everyone, you can find good humor and even your favorite adult entertainer on Sesame Street. Don't want to watch the whole Sesame Street and would rather skip to the part you enjoy? Google it and watch that part on YouTube- or at PBS.org.

Movies- Pixar- Be forewarned, I am recommending Pixar in part because my son is an "Up" production baby. However, I was a fan well before my son was even a twinkle in my eye. While we aren't affiliated with the studio anymore, I did get a chance to experience the studio in Emeryville, and see the immense and extremely well thought out care that goes into the movies. I will wager that there is at least one Pixar movie palatable to you and your family.

Music- Children's Radio Shows- There are several children's radio shows you can listen to online. DJs do a great job representing a variety of musical tastes, so you are likely to find something you like on the show. You can then learn more about that particular artist- buy their stuff, see them live. Don't hear anything you like? Contact the DJ and make a suggestion. You could also try something like Pandora for Children's Music, but I think children's shows with DJs are better at keeping up with new releases and represent more independent artists than what you might find there. For live radio I would suggest Sirius XM's "Kid's Place Live" or WXPN's "Kid's Corner." For listening online, there are more available than this, but here are five shows to start with-
Saturday Morning Cereal Bowl- sign up for PodBean and get them all in the app on your phone. https://saturdaycerealbowl.podbean.com/ 
Imagination Parade- http://wfdu.fdu.edu/imagine.html 
Radio Active Kids- https://www.ashevillefm.org/show/radio-active-kids 
Musical Merry-Go-Roundhttps://musicalmerrygoround.wordpress.com/
Hilltown Family Variety Show- HilltownFamilies.org

When you encounter new media with your preschooler, or even share something you remember from your childhood, you are engaging with them in important discovery that will help shape their future tastes. When you find something everyone enjoys, this process can be fun and an important diversion every once in a while. For my next article, I'll be talking a bit about play based discovery in general for preschool aged children- why it's so important, and ways you can help and take part. BTW- Happy Mother's Day for all moms reading this on the day it was posted:)

No comments:

Post a Comment