Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thankful

Hi everyone! I'm writing after taking a couple of weeks off- I've been very busy, but incredibly thankful for the new opportunities I've had this autumn. I have a couple of new YouTubes to share today, and in the true spirit of the "blog," I want to let you know what I've been up to.

This school year I started a new teaching position. I'm working as a music teacher in a special education setting, and I'm loving it! Simply put, my students help me understand how music can lift us up. I'm enjoying preparing students for a concert- I think it will be among the best I've taken part in over the years.

I also started taking classes to get a Master's in Educational Leadership. I'm learning about leadership skills and what it means to be a culturally proficient leader- interesting stuff, and the opportunity to contemplate and imagine myself in a position where I could have a positive effect on education is exciting!

Starting in September, I have also been traveling around the country, participating in library performer showcases. I travelled to Oklahoma, Oregon, Delaware, and Texas. I also have the opportunity to do a showcase in Northern California- it will be the first time I've had the opportunity to return there after having moved to Maryland 6 years ago. I can't wait!

I also travelled to Ohio for the Children's Music Network Annual Conference. I got a chance to reconnect with children's performer friends, and to bring my son along. As the star of some of my videos, he was met with fans for the first time. He has always been shy, but I think seeing people respond positively to him has been so helpful to him. For example, he came up with all of the ideas for the kid joke video below. Check it out! (PS- we also got to visit Oberlin, my alma mater- I've got a future Obie for sure!)

Starting my Youtube channel is also something new this fall. The two videos I put up today are in the spirit of Thanksgiving. As ever, I'm thankful for the chance to share my music. I've had a busy year in promoting my album, "I am 4, 5, 6." Hearing it played on the radio, having people listen and respond, working with a distributer and publicist, spending countless hours preparing emails and sending out copies- I'm thankful for all of it!

I've been working pretty hard, as all parents do- driven by the idea that children are our next innovators, problem solvers, and compassionate adults- especially my own. I'm thankful for the opportunity to talk about all of that work to other caring adults through this blog. I've enjoyed connecting with other parents and educators- and as sappy as this sounds- I mean every word- I believe together we can make a difference for our kids. Happy Thanksgiving!




No comments:

Post a Comment