Saturday, March 2, 2019

Screen Time for Young Children- How to Monitor?

So, let's be reasonable here. Children love technology, especially video games and watching their favorite shows and movies- my child foremost among them. It could be argued that early childhood is a good time to let children explore the basics of operating current devices, so they become technology "fluent" - ready to draw on that fluency later on when they become the next great software engineers.

I let my son watch YouTube and use apps on my IPhone, monitored, ever since he was 2. Monitored because 1) I didn't easily have money to replace my IPhone if he drops it, 2) I wanted to choose what he had access to in terms of content, and 3) I enjoyed the time spent with him using the device. We didn't have a TV, so I would watch YouTube with him. Quite honestly, out of all the media we found, there was only one video that turned out to be very much different than what we expected. It was a Calliou video in which some choice words had been altered. (Be careful when watching the Calliou apple picking episode online)!

My son has wanted his own IPad ever since he was 3. We didn't have one at home, but one was used at his preschool. At age 10, he doesn't have one yet because I have found both the cost and the potential inappropriate online content inhibitive. However, I got him a LeapPad when he was 7. The learning games and curated online content seemed more age appropriate. I got him a DS when he was 9, and then a Switch when he was 10 (because his DS was stolen from my school classroom when he left it there overnight - insert unhappy parent/teacher face emoji here).

Why has my son wanted his own device since he was old enough to request it? Probably because we had fun using a device together, and because we model device use as adults, me foremost among them. I am constantly working on a computer or my smartphone at home- the effect of having both a "day" job as a teacher (meaning this job extends well beyond working hours) and managing a small business as an independent artist and publisher.

Since I'm on screens myself a lot at home, and my now 10 year old son has access to his Switch, he's allowed to use it, partially unmonitored, for a set amount of time. On the one hand, I can see how much time he has been using his Switch with a handy Parental Control app, as well as disable some online features that could be inappropriate at this point. On the other hand, I'm not there with him when he uses it. I've been more vigilant, however, since hearing about recent hacking of children's media this week. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check your messages from your child's school. My county's public school system issued this warning: "Content that may start out as a normal video, game or message can quickly display threats, violence and offensive language and images."

The message also included this suggestion: "Closely monitor your child's online activities." For a 10 year old, that might mean explaining what this problem is so he is aware. In addition, one of my projects this weekend is to really get a better idea what his user experience is like. For instance, he wants to do more on one of his games, and is telling me he needs a Nintendo account, so we're going to figure out what that entails. If he was younger, knowing what I know now, it would mean taking a break from all new online content until I know for sure it's safe. Even though I was the one searching out and watching videos with my son, it did not prevent us stumbling upon an inappropriate video. Googling what I wanted, and using the first video on the search result list led to our Calliou mishap.

As parents, we can be vigilant at home, but what about at school? Leaders of learning have met with this problem since the introduction of internet to schools. Students, hidden behind their screens, access inappropriate content - even though they are supposed to be doing something else - despite the school's rules or firewall. Although some efforts have been made (see links below), I think much more could be done for schools to help protect students and alert teachers and administrators of inappropriate screen use.

Technology has advanced so quickly, it seems like we have often had difficulty foreseeing its potential harmful effects and misuse, from recent hacking to children's media to using it polarize people and sow discord. I believe these challenges are surmountable, however. Technology can also bring people together, make us smarter (we can learn from our mistakes), and help spread positive messages in the world. Take that- people out there who are trying to mess with our kids!!!

Next Generation Firewalls Do More Than Block Traffic
Best Firewalls 2019
Protect Children From Harmful Material and People on the Internet

2 comments:

  1. Monitoring screen time and usage is very important. It is amazing how kids grow accustomed to it at such an early age. My great niece is only 18 months and she knows how to swipe the cell phone to get to the apps she likes to play.

    ReplyDelete