Sunday, July 22, 2018

Early Language Learning- Part I

Last week I mentioned I would write today about young children learning a different language. As I thought about that prospect, however, I realized before I talk specifically about that (more next week), I should talk about language development in general- so here goes! 

Some of my most interesting conversations have been with children ages six and under. And I mean interesting. I had a five year old student who loved to tell me stories, but the events came out in a different order. I've talked to preschoolers about one thing, then it ended up we were talking about two or three other different things. I've had many fairly one sided conversations with toddlers in which children contribute a word or two, maybe some unintelligible sentences- much like talking to oneself, but you kind of think they might be getting some of what you're saying as well. And I've talked a good deal with babies- who you like to think totally understand what you are saying- at least I do!

Studies on language development show that young children acquire language as part of their cognitive and social development. Physical speech development- muscle coordination, etc.- also comes into play. This means that as the brain and body develop, hopefully in an environment where a young child hears and can participate in a lot of language- hearing it socially- a young child learns how to "use their words" and join the conversation. 

A young child's language often develops in fits and starts- growth spurts- so it can be difficult to know for sure if they are developmentally "on track" or not. I had an unusual speech development. (I didn't start talking until I was five, while most babies have their first words at around age one). This was because of a few different things- chronic ear infections, a physical "tongue tie"- but here I am anyway, making music for young children and writing about my experience with them. The bottom line is, young children are built for language development, so even if it seems like they aren't quite there yet, as long as there isn't something else going on (hearing or other physical difference), they will be able to talk with you soon.

The part we can play as parents, caregivers, and teachers is to provide that rich social environment, loaded with opportunities to both hear language socially and to speak it to the best of their ability. As you'll see below, you can do this in all kinds of different ways. Click each subject heading to link to an article to find out a little more if you'd like. 

Talk to your children- Holding an often one-sided conversation can take some imagination and practice, but it's the key to early language development. Just remember your role in the conversation is to encourage speech, not necessarily to judge it. 

Read to your child every day- Make a habit of reading to your child- all the way from infancy to 6 and beyond. I did this every day for my son before bed, and often times throughout the day. The benefits of hearing language in this way prime children to both read and speak later on.

Sing, play music, or attend a live music event- Having had speech issues myself, I know that singing often slows down and evens out the rhythm of language so that it's easier to understand and vocalize. There are also studies on how music stimulates the brain in ways normal speech does not- check it out (click the subject heading to link to an article about this)!

Attend library storytimes- Here's an event where people are attending to live language- from these fascinating things called books! That is, one person is saying something, and other people are making an effort to listen. If this isn't giving young children the opportunity to hone their focus on language in a social setting, I don't know what is. 

TV or not TV?- That is the question. There is a ton of excellent children's programming- rich with language, music, and engaging visuals. The American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend TV for babies 18 months and younger, however. It recommends watching TV together with children 18 months to 5 years so you can talk about what you are watching. 

Talk to any young child, and you'll discover their perspective pretty quickly, even if their only way to communicate with you yet is to smile, cry, or laugh! It also turns out you can talk "normally" (you don't have to "baby talk" or simplify your language) to young children- although it helps to be direct and expressive. 

I leave you today with a picture of my son (you'll see his baby pictures a lot on my blog). He's pointing at a bird, and he's also telling me it's a bird. (This was one of his first words)! Don't forget, more next week on learning different languages in early childhood!





No comments:

Post a Comment