Sunday, July 8, 2018

Finding Childcare For Your Very Young Children

Parenting a young child is a job you have around the clock, 24/7. In fact, the younger your children are, the more often you might be awake 24/7. Everyone needs a breather now and then, and most parents also need to work- so where can one find good, reliable care that will also nurture early learning? It's often easier than you might think- even if money is tight! For today's article I'll focus on finding childcare for babies 2 and under. Baby care for working adults is a must, but for this age, I found it the most difficult to work out. To help you consider childcare that is comfortable for you and your child, I'll share my experience with a few different options and offer some pros and cons of each.

Leave Them With Your Family- Grandma and Grandpa, Aunts and Uncles, family loves family, and if there are cousins around the same age, this is a great opportunity for some play based learning as well. Just remember that even though there is typically no charge for this type of childcare, it can be taxing, so be kind to those family members who offer to watch your little ones- set up care about which you both feel comfortable. Talk about their experience- offer support and be generous with your gratitude! Pros- FREE, can include elusive overnight babysitting. Cons- Might not work for long term care or care while you work.

Childcare Exchanges- This is something I did when I wasn't living close to my family. It works best if you have established relationships with other moms that have children of a similar age (maybe from a mom's group or a playgroup). We would work out times we needed help and tried to keep the amount of times we watched each other's kids even. This was great because our kids could play with each other as well, keeping each other occupied and less fussy. I highly recommend trying this because it doesn't cost a dime and helps build relationships between you and other parents, and between your kids! Pros- You and your child will make awesome friends! Cons- It can take time to find a good friend to partner with, one with which you feel comfortable.

Work From Home- If your family situation allows, you can work from home and take care of an infant. I'm not saying it's easy to do this, but it is possible, and might make things easi- er/more financially viable for you. I did some of this myself- just remember, it's only temporary- or if you like it way more than commuting somewhere, it could be the start of something new- something more comfortable for your lifestyle! Pros- No stressful commuting issues (no rush for you and for your baby to be ready in the morning, no more long commutes). Cons- You might not actually be able to get as much work done, and you might get paid less.

Nannies- If you can afford a nanny, and if you feel comfortable with this option- go for it! Experienced nannies have often looked after many, many babies in their time, so they have a good idea how to tend to your baby's needs, even if said baby can't speak for themselves yet. When I was with my son on weekdays, I would often see groups of nannies out at the park with their charges happily playing or napping in strollers. They would ask me if my son was the only baby I looked after. (I think they thought I was also a nanny)! Now I often see nannies out at my music shows as well- so go nannies! Pros- Your child gets individualized attention! Cons- Expense.

In Home Daycares- Some brave parents, most often while starting their own families, become momtrepreneurs or dadtrepreneurs, get licensed, and use their homes as daycares. Make sure you are comfortable with the mom or dad who has set up shop, their space, and the amount of children at the daycare. Find at least three to compare and contrast. A positive benefit of an in home daycare are that the ages of the children there may vary like a family and offer valuable socialization. I have visited, and I've also seen groups from in home daycares out at my music classes as well. Pros- Bonus "brothers and sisters." Cons- Less individualized attention.

Brick and Mortar Daycares- There are many daycares that accept babies- find one about which you feel comfortable. Do the babies there appear happy? Do the childcare workers look like they enjoy working with the babies? Would my baby get held/attended to if he or she was fussing? Are there play spaces and enrichment opportunities (music) designed to support infant development? These are all questions I would ask. Pros- Centers must maintain strict licensing requirements. Cons- Less individualized attention.

Below I've included some links to do some research on your childcare choices- remember the main word here is- you guessed it- comfortable. You'll know after checking out your options, doing some interviews, going on some site visits, checking references and reviews- what type of childcare to go with and when. This is where your parenting instincts kick in- you'll know what's safe and the best way to be resourceful for your children. Good luck- and see you next week for an article on childcare and preschool for children ages 2-5!

References-
National Association of Family Child Care (NAFCC)
National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
Care.com
Child Care Aware hotline (800-424-2246)








No comments:

Post a Comment