Sunday, August 19, 2018

Self Care for Parents of Young Children

I'm writing this article today as an advocate for new parents. I know how hard it can be- I became a single parent when my son was just about a year old, and I struggled with health issues throughout his early childhood. However, I persevered and got through it with a little help from my friends, family, and doctors- all of whom helped me care for myself as much as I did my son.

I know that self care can be elusive in the midst of caring for a young child. Being a parent can be very demanding of our time, energy, and patience, and can seem like there is no time left for anything else. It's pretty crucial that we do take some time for self care, however- we're able to do much more as parents if we aren't constantly fatigued or sick. Here are some ways to incorporate self care in your busy schedule.

Early Bedtime- For them, not you. My son was in bed from 7-8pm each day. (He also woke up at 7am each day). Having that time at night to myself was really what kept me going the most. This was the time I had to catch up on the things I wasn't able to get to during the day, as well as to relax a bit- finally.

Exercise- This is something you can definitely incorporate during the day- I used to walk or hike with my son (in a stroller or carrier- or with him toddling along) daily. Another way you could do this is find a gym with a childcare room. This might be difficult if your young one gets upset separating from you, however.

Find your community- If you can help it at all, try not to be alone with your kids all day. Everyone needs help from time to time, whether it's with childcare or with moral support- both are pretty important. Social media can be good for moral support, but it really can't take the place of spending time with other people in person. There are lots of ways to do this- for us it was playgroups, moving closer to family, being a part of an early childhood education community, and getting out to activities and places for young ones as much as possible.

Find a confidant- Please also don't hesitate to set up counseling for yourself- no matter what your income level is, there is always a trained professional to talk to. This can often be a better option than talking to family or friends. It's just the way our brain works- it often takes an objective person to be the sounding board we need to move past what may be in the way of our ability to be at peace with ourselves. It goes without saying that we are then able to pass on that inner peace to our children. Call 211 or visit 211.org to find counseling services near you.

Do what you enjoy- Take that precious time you have to yourself to treat yourself. Nuff said!

Hopefully this article, if not offering you new information, will inspire you to be sure to incorporate some time for self care daily. I need to remind myself of that as well! Here in Maryland, school starts the day after Labor Day. Even though my son will be turning 10 this year, our summers have been much like that time when he was very young and we spent every day together. However, I'll be going back to school soon to get ready for a new year, and so will my son! Next week, I'll give you a little insight about being a teacher and how you can work with your child's teacher to make the most of their time at school this year. Stay tuned!






No comments:

Post a Comment