Monday, February 18, 2019

Screen Time for Young Children- the Ins and Outs

On this blog, I have written from the perspective of a parent, teacher, and children’s artist to share my experience in providing early learning experiences for children. This week, I’d like to take the opportunity to speak as a leader of learning. As you may know, I am currently working towards a Master’s in Educational Leadership, and I’m taking a class called Technology for leaders of Learning. In this class I have learned about many ways to provide and manage personalized e-learning for students in a classroom setting. 

As a parent, you may have encountered these e-learning resources when your students come home with access codes to RAZ Kids or Dreambox. However, results of multiple studies of the effect of screen time on developing brains have led to pediatrician recommended amounts of screen time for young children. Studies that show harmful effects of screen time on the brain abound. On the other hand, studies also show that learning apps can improve overall student performance.

I have emphasized play based early learning on this blog, in addition to music and movement. I’ve found that not many are highlighting these alternatives to using learning apps or other learning opportunities involving screens. In fact, online, you tend to find links to online learning resources- I am guilty of this myself in promoting my YouTube channel for early learning. Those who opt in for a TV free home, with little to no device use, don’t seem to be as forefront in advocating for their stance on screen time as do advocates of the learning apps themselves. 

As a leader of learning, I am met with this dilemma. How much should I advocate use of learning apps in and out of school? I tend to want to follow pediatrician recommended guidelines, but I also know that learning apps can have a positive effect on overall learning, allowing teachers to keep track of each student’s progress, and providing resources otherwise unavailable or not as easily attained in the classroom. Stay tuned this week and next as I write about the ins and outs of using screen related apps for young children!




5 comments:

  1. This looks very timely for learning about the right balance of screen time and apps in a number of venues. Looking forward to your next posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick, yes it's something I think about a lot as a leader of learning, teacher, and parent. Please check out my second article and participate in my screen time poll! (Just posted).

      Delete
  2. Very interesting dilemma. Many parents, school leaders, and early childhood teachers are facing this same dilemma. I believe each child is unique and the right balance for screen time needs to be determined by schools and families working together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kiersten, thanks for your comment. A healthy amount of screen time is definitely something I have thought a lot about, I know many others do as well. I hope these articles help add to some clarity on the issue. If you have a moment, could you please take part in my screen time poll? (Just posted it now). Thanks again!

      Delete